Ads Top

Interview + DHL Mix #081 By As I Am


A lot more can be said about As I Am that he rarely talks about, behind the scenes supporting London’s Dance Music by co founding one of the biggest and longest running House Music Stations.
Founded various club nights since 1998 at the infamous seOne, Koko, Cable, Crucifix Lane, Meantime (now Studio 338) and Boat Parties on the River Thames. Label owner at the age of 17, you can safely say he has put in the groundwork with ambition from a young age. Currently, this fast-rising producer is gaining recognition and working with some of the biggest names in the industry.
His most popular track so far ‘Saving Grace’ released on Defected spending nearly 4 months in the Beatport charts and featured on many compilations like Ministry Of Sound, BBC, Toolroom, Most Rated and SubSoul, while Releasing and remixing on Azuli, Simma Black, Great Stuff, Get Twisted Records, Whore House, Hed Kandi, Bar Grooves, Ministry Of Sound, Arch44, Colombia/Sony.



You are a born and bred Londoner, how has the city impacted you as an artist, specifically as an electronic music artist?
London’s club scene was built on pirate radio, this made a big impact on me becoming a dj/producer. I wanted to create my own music.
Tell us a bit about your early days in London. Maybe even, before you got into “the scene”. Where were you going? When did your interest in electronic music start?
Dance music & the rave scene in London during the 1990’s was heavily influenced by pirate radio. New underground music was hard to come by in those days before the internet. Listening to the djs play fresh music gave me inspiration to create my own.
What artists would you say have had the most influence on you, whether they be electronic or any genre/medium? If there was one artist, living or dead, you would want to see live who would it be? (For me, it would be Hendrix)
Todd Edwards, Daft Punk, David Bowie, The Beatles, I could name a hundred different artists who have influenced me in one way or another… I would love to see Groove Armada perform Paper Romance Live. (Hendrix is a good shout though)
You’ll be in Amsterdam on March 5 at Panama, Our sister publication is out there, so what are your impressions of that city? Do you have any specific memories of your times in Amsterdam?
I can’t wait to get out there again. Panama is meant to be such an awesome venue too. The last time out there I managed to catch Detroit Swindle & Kerri Chandler performing at MN2S which was a really positive inspirational time for me.
What do you have coming up in 2016 that you’re most excited about?
Too many exciting times ahead in 2016, I have more releases on Get Twisted, Axtone & my own label Jump Digital. Dj sets in Brighton, Amsterdam, Groovefest Malta, Dublin, Proud London, Norwich, City Sound Project in Kent & hopefully Miami.
Describe the mix you have submitted to us? How is this representative of you as a DJ and as an artist?
9 out of the 16 tracks are unreleased, some are my own or from my label. Its energy packed with acid house influenced tracks which remind me of my early years. Keep an eye out for my VIP dubs in the mix. Enjoy
Tracklist
Jesse James – Baby Boo (As I Am VIP Mix)
Cassell – De-troit
Solardo – Dance The Disco
Metodi Hristov – Don’t You Know
Anotr – Wrong beat
Timid Boy – Extasy 2016 (Paul C & Paolo Martini Remix)
Dantiez Saunderson – Groove Machine (Gene Farris Acid Indigestion Mix)
Digital Three – Dope
Neverdogs – No Excuse (wAFF Remake)
DJ Deeon Vs Lee Walker – Freak Like Me (As I Am VIP Mix)
Fly By Night – The Way
As I Am – Pump Up The Jam (As I Am VIP Mix)
Raffa FL – Alone
Fly By Night – That 808
As I Am – All Away (Warehouse Mix)
Secret – Secret (Promo)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.